Skip to main content

Embrace the change - Evaluation and Feedback - Speech-2


Embrace the change



            How many of you here enjoy being with small kids?
            How many of you feel it very difficult to manage the mischievous kids?

              Good evening fellow toastmasters and guests.

              I am happily married for the past three years with a two-year-old kid. Kids when they are small, as the parent’s responsibility we must take care of them, feed them, help them in understanding the world around them. In my case, my kid being a two-year-old helped me in a great way. Do you want to know how? He helped me in preparing the script for my Pathways Level-1 speech-3. Now 
you can guess that today’s speech is around my kid.

              My son had a habit, whenever he goes to sleep, he will not sleep in the bed, We have to put him in the swing and keep swinging till he goes to sleep. This is there in most of the kids when they are small. This behavior is absolutely fine when your baby goes to sleep quickly. There are some kids like my son who enjoys swinging for hours before going to sleep. This is not cool.

              It was more than 2 years since he was sleeping in the swing during day time and night time. Whenever he wants to sleep, he prefers me to put him sleep in the swing. He prefers my pattern of swinging more than his mother. This is a mixed feeling, I feel it as a privilege and sometimes a burden on me. Whenever I feel it as a burden, I convince myself that I burn those extra calories.

              One fine evening, my son was suffering from cold. We gave him medicines and he went to sleep early at 9PM. After the daily status calls and completing the work, I went to sleep at 11AM. It was just an hour, exactly at 12AM, my son woke up and started crying. When he wakes up late during middle of the night, the only option to make him sleep is to put him back to swing and I take that honor to make him sleep. Without a choice. I started my regular exercise of putting him back to swing to make him sleep. After 30mins of tireless effort, I observed that he started sleeping. Then I tried to take him out to put him back to the bed. He woke up and started crying. I put him back again to sleep in the swing and started the exercise. This time he was clever. He didn’t close his eyes. He was monitoring me if I swing him properly. Believe me, he didn’t sleep till 4.30AM. It was a horrible night for me. Then he had mercy on me and went to sleep. After this heavy exercise I didn’t get sleep after that. That day me and my wife decided to stop this practice of swinging.

              We removed the swing setup and the next day he didn’t sleep during the day time. This will result in early sleep during night. It was as per our plan. He went to sleep early during the night that too without the swing. We felt very happy and proud that our kid adopted the change without any hardship. Our happiness didn’t last longer. He woke up at 1PM that night and started crying. We gave him milk bottle, he got it in his hand and threw it away. He was crying louder on remembering the injustice made to him. He got down from the bed and came outside the bedroom. He still not started talking, so he grabbed my hand and took me to the hall, where his swing setup was there. He saw the ceiling and again started crying. I understood, what he was trying to communicate. I took him and consoled him by showing some toys and keeping his favorite rhymes in the mobile. Nothing worked. He was stubborn in his demand. He was crying and searching for the swing. At last he found the clothe which we use to tie for the swing. With tears and loud cry, he handed it to me. I was helpless. I want to stop this habit. I took him to the bed and consoled him to sleep. He was still crying and my wife lost her patience. She yelled at him. “Why are you doing like this? Kids of your age don’t do this much to sleep”. On hearing this he proved Newton’s third law and increased his intensity further. I told my wife “ He is a small kid. Also we should be blamed for this habit. Not him. Lets be patient and hope the best”. Then I turned towards my son and told him “Listen, Change is hard to adopt but trust me your life will be beautiful with this change”. My wife stared at me and told “Does he understands this?”. I replied her “May be not now but one day he will realize it”. That is the power of positive words. She didn’t tell anything.

After 1 hour of all this drama, finally he gave up, there was a decrease in the intensity of his cry and he accepted the milk bottle and started drinking. A great relief for me and my wife. I put him back to bed and he started sleeping. I felt it was a great accomplishment and my wife appreciated me for not giving up at any instance.

From then my son sleeps without any trouble. He embraced the change and made our life happier. I want to conclude my speech by saying Change is inevitable, it is hard at the beginning,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom-Wife-Balance - Humorous speech

Mom-Wife-Balance                        Are you questioning me for correcting the mistake done by your wife? Ha! From when this habit started? My mom screamed at me. I was speechless.               Good evening fellow toastmasters and my dear guests. The entire universe right from the galaxies, stars in the space to the electrons in the atoms are balanced to maintain a harmony. People say our lives will be in peace and harmony if we practice the work-life balance principle. I am here to tell you a more important balance for the life that is mom-wife balance. It is this balance that will make you or break you. To achieve this, I would like to share with you two important techniques which I experienced in my life.               How many of you watched the movie Bahubali-2 ? For those who ...

Success - Proposal

Success Good evening fellow Toastmasters, Madam Toastmasters and guest. On hearing the word proposal what comes to your mind? Marriage proposal, Business proposal, Proposal to any problem that you have. When you search in google the meaning for proposal, you get two meanings, one is a formal plan or suggestion to address a problem and the other one is straightforward a offer for marriage . For the next 5-7 minutes I am going to touch on both the things as part of my project.               Everyone of us want to lead a successful life but success will not come to us easily. We need strive and struggle to attain success. I am here with a proposal to lead a successful life with two simple, quite familiar yet powerful techniques to follow.               It was a in the year 2010 I got my first job and placed in an MNC as a software engineer. I had ...

Innocent soul-Ice breaker speech script

Innocent soul It was one fine evening, 6 people surrounded me. Everyone started to shoot questions at me. One said, “Don’t you know this basic thing”. Another one said “What Hadi I never expected this from you” another one said, “How can you ask this kind of question?”. I was surprised, embarrassed, felt a bit sorry at that moment. Good afternoon fellow toastmasters and guests. I am here to share an incident in my life that taught me some good lessons. It was my second year of my career right from college. On a Sunday morning our project team of 11 members headed our journey in a tempo traveler to Pondicherry. To attend our friend’s marriage. In our gang there were people who never turn to any of the functions or marriages. They came to this friend’s marriage. You ask me the reason, I will not tell. We reached the marriage hall, attended the marriage, had a good biriyani. He was a Muslim friend. Story starts here. We departed from the marriage hall heading towards Ch...