Success
Good evening fellow Toastmasters,
Madam Toastmasters and guest. On hearing the word proposal what comes to your
mind? Marriage proposal, Business proposal, Proposal to any problem that you
have. When you search in google the meaning for proposal, you get two meanings,
one is a formal plan or suggestion to address a problem and the other
one is straightforward a offer for marriage. For the next 5-7 minutes I
am going to touch on both the things as part of my project.
Everyone
of us want to lead a successful life but success will not come to us easily. We
need strive and struggle to attain success. I am here with a proposal to lead
a successful life with two simple, quite familiar yet powerful techniques
to follow.
It
was a in the year 2010 I got my first job and placed in an MNC as a software
engineer. I had 4 months of training and then placed into a project. I was lucky
to have one of my friends to be a training batchmate and also a project mate. Most
of the characteristics between me and my friend are similar. One such thing is
that we both are introverts. I am fine how I am but he wanted to change that
label. To achieve this he started interacting with people around him
purposefully. He will tell Hi to strangers which I am not comfortable with. He
will tell good morning to everyone in the floor every day to start a
conversation. In this process I noticed a thing that he got more inclined
towards girls. Especially the girls from “God’s own country” – Kerala. Hope no
Keralite madam toastmasters here.
It
is not too difficult to find a girl if she is from Kerala. Their looks and
their slang. This Onion chutney has more Oil. He got fascinated with that girl
who was a junior in our building. He followed her got to know her name. Thanks
to the graph search offered by facebook he was able to successfully locate the
girl’s profile. He started researching it for few months and went with a
proposal. On that day she was sitting with her friend in the cafeteria. He
hesitantly went near to her and expressed “I want to talk to you for 5 mins.” That girl on hearing this with an unwelcoming
face said “Ya” He went on “You may not feel comfortable to talk to me, but I just wanted
to say “Hi” to you as you know we are MS classmates. I saw you many times in
the classroom. I wanted to talk to you but didn’t get the opportunity.” She
told “Ok” He went on “I like your family also very much I saw your family photo
in Facebook, It was good”. At this moment she really felt uncomfortable. On
sensing this he told “Fine my friends are waiting. Lets catch up later.” And
left.
I will
pause the story here. What do we learn
from this? If you have any problem, if you need something to achieve or need
assistance use the three letter magic word “ASK”. Everyone knows this but when
the situation demands, we are left helpless. We don’t know what to do. “ASK” as
my friend did. I am not talking about the way he proposed as he is not a
Toastmaster But the guts he had to talk to that girl. I want to propose this
technique to you all for achieving success in your life. How to ASK I leave up
to you to explore with this Toastmastering skills.
Coming
back to the story. Days passed. Whenever my friend got a chance to meet the
girl, she used to look somewhere and ignore him. That much embarrassment he has
created. He then thought of impressing the girl by some means. He thought he will
study very well in MS and get good marks and create a good image in her mind.
Unfortunately he is also an average student like me. So this plan will never
work for him. Then he thought he is very good at painting. He took her family
photo and drew it in a big sheet of paper. You may ask what’s special about it?
He drew it in the form of a tree and named it as “Family tree” with real roots,
trunk and in the place of leaves, he drew the exact faces of her family members
in the form of leaves. Another special thing about the painting is, he drew the
entire painting with her name. Don’t ask me her name. I respect her privacy. He
framed it neatly and waited for nearly 6 months before giving it to her. At
last he didn’t have that guts as I told him what will happened if she complains
to HR? At last he had the guts to upload that photo to the internal company
blog and tag her there. You want to know what happened? He got a call in his
desk phone and she blasted him like anything. How dare you can do this kind of
things and tag me without? Remove this photo immediately! He removed it.
That’s
the end of the story, In our life we always work on and struggle to improve our weakness instead
of concentrating on our strengths. If my friend had opted to study really hard
and impress her he would have failed and forgot her. But he chose to work on
his strength and at least accomplish something. Though he is not successful as
there was flaw in the implementation, he tried something. Dear toastmsaters,
work on your strengths!
If you
want to know what happened to my friend? After a while he realized it is not
his of coffee and married his relative’s daughter and leading his life happily.
To
conclude, In order to achieve success in your life,
1 1 .
ASK for what you need with right words and in a
right tone
Comments
Post a Comment