It’s my style
How did you miss this issue in production? Do you know how
much loss it made to the client?
How many of you didn't have this kind of tough boss in your life?
Good evening fellow toastmasters and guests.
By next month I will be completing 30 successful years of revolution around the sun. If the almighty wishes.
Today I am doing "leadership style" project and I would like to share my experiences with the leaders whom I came across.
It was in the year 2010 I was graduated from college and fortunately I got a job in the same year. Without any choice I was forced It was a search engine similar to google that I have to test and assure its quality. After the training I got a project and I was put into knowledge transition(KT). A senior team member gave me KT about the domain and our manager. I observed that he didn't have good terms with the manager. With this you can guess how well the knowledge transition would have went. This is how the KT went. Hit this site, check the page is loading, check the results displayed, u have 10 results, related searches(if you search for queries like rude or arrogant, u will see our manager's name in the related searches) at last ads displayed in the page. U also need to check some back end configuration as part of your testing. He also told me u should dive deep and learn. No one will spoon feed u here. I told ok.
How many of you didn't have this kind of tough boss in your life?
Good evening fellow toastmasters and guests.
By next month I will be completing 30 successful years of revolution around the sun. If the almighty wishes.
Today I am doing "leadership style" project and I would like to share my experiences with the leaders whom I came across.
It was in the year 2010 I was graduated from college and fortunately I got a job in the same year. Without any choice I was forced It was a search engine similar to google that I have to test and assure its quality. After the training I got a project and I was put into knowledge transition(KT). A senior team member gave me KT about the domain and our manager. I observed that he didn't have good terms with the manager. With this you can guess how well the knowledge transition would have went. This is how the KT went. Hit this site, check the page is loading, check the results displayed, u have 10 results, related searches(if you search for queries like rude or arrogant, u will see our manager's name in the related searches) at last ads displayed in the page. U also need to check some back end configuration as part of your testing. He also told me u should dive deep and learn. No one will spoon feed u here. I told ok.
The next day my team lead called me
and gave me a task for production testing. I tested all the checkpoints
and gave sign off. The next day when I reached the office I opened my mail box
to see a mail from my manager. “How did you miss this issue in Production?”. On
scrolling down the email thread, I see the client manager’s comments. “So far
we have estimated $250K loss due to this issue.” I further scrolled down to see
“Ads are not displayed for so and so region since the prod push.” I thought I
made a blunder and I am going to pay heavily for that.
I came to office the next day and I
met my team member who gave KT to me. He asked. “Hey ads are P1 scenarios, how
did you miss that?” I replied him with a surprise “What is it P1? I was aware
of it”. He told “Don’t talk like this to anyone. Most of our client’s revenue
is generated from Ads” I told “OK”. Ok till the manager comes, u be relaxed and
do your work. We can talk later.
I resumed my work and after some
time, my other team friends call me for a tea break. When I was about to leave
the bay, my Team Lead entered the bay. She asked in a commanding voice. “Are
you aware of what’s happening around you?. I told “Yes I saw the email”. Ok
where are u going now?.. “Break”.. “Fine come to my place after finishing the
break”.
Now we are in a break session. My
team lead “I call her as the sister of my manager” As they inherit most of the
qualities”. My manager’s manager. Who is a Director. I can refer him as a great
grand father of these two. Ask why? There was an incident, My team member when
she joined new to the project went and asked for a relocation to her native
Coimbatore. He should have told “Yes or No” He told “What are guys thinking in
your mind? Got a job through campus interview and you are enjoying ur life
here. I wish u should have taken ur resume and roam in every street and every
company for a job and if I have offered u Rajasthan Thar desert. You would have
happily accepted it and went there. Get lost, come next year” Trust me she
worked happily in Chennai for the next 5 years.
After 10 mins I went towards her
place. It is 20m to reach her place. I saw a ‘A furious lion standing to taste it food’ My
manger waiting for me. On seeing me at a distance he told “ Come, come here” I
was little bit hesitant to go near him. My heart was beating at its full capacity.
I felt a disconnection in my brain’s neurons. My eyes became blurred. He told “come
I wont beat you!” I got a call from my great grand father sorry our Director yesterday
night at 12.00AM. He started asking me questions for the issue that you have
missed. It was a great loss for us. Don’t you know the scenario? Who gave you
the KT? I was quiet. That’s the best response I can give at that time. At last
he asked me to send me the root cause analysis report by EOD.
I sent with the help of my senior and
from then never in my career I had did this mistake. I was very alert in taking
the tasks, ask questions before committing to something and never assume things
and do.
To conclude, let see explain how a
leader should be? Advising and correcting one’s mistakes in private like our
Immediate past president. Knowledgeable as our Treasurer. Confident as our
secretary. Outstanding as our VP-PR, Helping as our VP-M, Laser sharp focus as
our VP-Education, Motivating as our President and last but not the least, ever
smiling as our both Area directors.
Comments
Post a Comment