Mom-Wife-Balance
Are you questioning me for correcting the mistake done by
your wife? Ha! From when this habit started? My mom screamed at me. I was
speechless.
Good
evening fellow toastmasters and my dear guests. The entire universe right from
the galaxies, stars in the space to the electrons in the atoms are balanced to
maintain a harmony. People say our lives will be in peace and harmony if we
practice the work-life balance principle. I am here to tell you a more
important balance for the life that is mom-wife balance. It is this balance
that will make you or break you. To achieve this, I would like to share with
you two important techniques which I experienced in my life.
How many
of you watched the movie Bahubali-2? For those who haven’t watched the movie no
worries. There will be a court scene in the movie where Bahubali will mess up
with her mother in order to support his wife. His mother will throw him out of
the palace along with his wife. Later Bahubali even after going out will lead
like a king by establishing his own kingdom outside the palace. Just keep this
in your mind and hear my version of the story. It was few months after the
marriage I took my wife to my native were my mom lives. My mom gave my wife a
task to cut onions for making sambar. My wife instead of cutting long pieces
for sambar did small pieces. My Mom while she was cleaning the house, observed
this and shouted at my wife, “Why are you cutting the onion so small? Don’t you
know for sambar we need big pieces!?”.
On hearing that I remembered the
Bahubali scene. I wanted to defend my wife. I told my mom in gentle voice “Why
are you shouting at her always. Can’t you convey in a pleasant voice?” I gave a
pause there. Not realizing what I have uttered. My Mom’s Radar turned away from
my wife and focused on me. She started yelling at me. It was a 10 minutes
speech. I will give a summary of it. She started “You are supporting your wife
for the mistake she done and raising your voice against me!. I never expected
this from you. With all the work I have, on seeing your wife doing a mistake, u
want me to use a gentle tone and explain her all these? You know how ur grandma
treated me when I was newly married. This is not even 1% of what I underwent. You
still claim that I shouted at her” It went on.
On hearing this I had two choices in
front of me “To argue with my mom and make her understand. Or Two wait
patiently till the cyclone gets settles”. I opted for the second option, since
from my childhood I use to see my father also doing the same. Two take away from this. “Never ever learn anything from movies. The message may be good but
it may not be practical.” What will I do if my mom throws away me from the
house. I am not Bahubali to establish a kingdom outside my house. It is better
to be shameless than being homeless. So I was patient. Also for establishing the
balance between you mom and wife during a conflict. “Try the possibilities to
resolve the issue. If you can’t resolve it then dissolve the issue.” As is I
did in my case.
Additionally I have one more bonus
point for establishing between the mom and wife. “It is not necessary to tell
everything your mom tells about your wife to your wife and vice versa. You can
censor certain things and make your life happy.
To summarize, Dear fellow
toastmasters and guests. If you are a married man please make use of these two
techniques. “If you can’t resolve the issue. Dissolve the issue”. 2. Between
your wife and mom be a filter rather than being a router.
Madam toastmasters, you can tell this
to your fellow human being in your home to have better balance.
Simply great. Be a filter rather than router.
ReplyDeleteNice one Abdul
ReplyDeleteI can connect with the humour throughout the speech, by sharing this you have done a job that well made.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletelol :)
ReplyDeleteROFL :)
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0jE86IKwwA